Monday, March 2, 2009

Reese's Word Recognition

Marty and I bought the series I'm sure you have seen on TV called Your Baby Can Read. I was feeding Boone EARLY one morning a few months ago and saw the infomercial for the program. I must say I was a skeptic, thinking there is no way these DVDs and games could actually help babies as young as 9 months read words. But, we ordered the series with no expectations except that we gained new educational DVDs for Reese to watch during those times in the day when I needed to fold clothes or start dinner. They recommend you show your child one DVD twice a day for one month and move to a new one the next month. I definitely do not play them twice a day and sometimes even skip a few days. She enjoys watching them and loves to play the card games with me and Marty at night. I know it is a lot of memorization, but the idea behind the program is the child begins to make a phonemic connection with letters and blends. I just think it is so neat that she knows so much after just 2 months! If you have a minute, take a look at the video below.